8 new people came to my small group two weeks ago. 4 of the 8 had never been in a small group before. I asked them what reservations they had about coming. They said:
- Everyone would know the Bible...and I will be embarassed by how little I know.
- Letting people get to know me is risky.
- Commitment - what if I don't like it? I will feel bad about backing out.
But they came to small group anyway, in spite of these reservations...so I asked them, "Why did you come?" They said:
- Someone invited me - usually more then once.
- To make friends
- To get to know people outside of my work
- So I will grow as a person
- To learn more about God and the Bible
So now we are 19. We divide into two groups within the same house.
I haven't led a group in a while, but am leading this one now. I am surprised by the responsibility I feel. Leadership makes me want to pray more...